Sunday, September 27, 2009

Church temper tantrum

From Jenn: Today Makaela and I went to 5pm mass. She doesn't mind going to church so much because she can say her "Amens", shake hands with people and eat (snacking keeps her quiet). Today she was very bouncy- we had a few incidents where I caught her before she fell and one time when I wasn't quick enough. She bumped her face on the chair when she was bouncing back up. I finally calmed her down and then we headed up for communion. She was having fun making eyes at all the people we passed and feeling all grown up standing in line like everyone else, however, once we got up to the eucharistic minister, her demeanor changed abruptly. She watched the man in front of us get the communion and she promptly walked up and put her hand out, expecting to get communion too. The nice old man smiled at her and patted her on the head and she tried to back out of as if to say, "Oh no you don't buddy, I know what I'm here for". Then I got communion and started to walk away when I realized that Makaela wasn't next to me- she was still in front of the minister pouting, arm up, waiting for her communion. When I went back to get her, she threw down her arms in a huff and started whining- very loudly I might add. It was like she was thinking, "here I am trying to fit in and be a good Catholic and these big people won't let me". I couldn't help it, I just started giggling. I thought I was being ridiculous until I overheard and saw people pointing her out and laughing too. Guess my girl is too big for her britches- 2 going on 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment