Monday, August 9, 2010

Back to work and school

My school year started when we were in NY, so I missed the first 4 days with my students. Come Monday, I was back in the thick of it, learning over 140 students names, teaching rules and regulations and gearing up for a new year. They seemed quite happy to have their real teacher back, although few of them actually knew my name (there was a problem with the schedules). Anyway, for the most part, they seem like a great group of kids and I already am enjoying myself. The actual administrative side of the job is not so fun this year (lots of new work and expectations piled on us), but I am looking forward to working directly with the kids again. I have been busying myself with lots of cleaning, organizing, prepping meals for the week so I am not too overwhelmed and spending lots of quality time with Makaela.

Makaela headed back to school again after being off for a week and transitioning her was a bit tougher. She has gotten very attached to me during the trip and in light of Matt's departure that she is having some separation anxiety. Dropping her off to preschool involves some weeping (although she is great when I pick her up), but at home, she is battling some issues as well. I can't go upstairs without her following me because she doesn't want me to "yeave her" and she says she is getting scared of random things. She is also complaining of boo boos that I can't see (they are usually located on her legs). She also wants to continue to sleep in my bed (we shared a bed in NY), but I am trying to squash this before it becomes a habit now that we are home. She is always looking for Matt's car, so I think that much of this behavior comes from her internalizing Matt's departure and then leaving NY after she bonded with that side of the family. We will just take it day by day and hope that Skype can help settle some of her insecurities.


Makaela vacuuming- even she got busy with the cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment