Friday, April 8, 2011

Makaela is going bi-lingual

Makaela's new preschool teacher is from Costa Rica, so she has a bit of an accent and Makaela mimics her on occasion. One day I caught Makaela "teaching" her dolls and she was doing these very elaborate circling hand movements and putting her hands on her hips as she talked to them. When I asked her what she was doing, she said, "I'm Marrrcccela"- looks like she got the rolling of the Rs down. Well, last night she started counting her shapes...in Spanish. I praised her and she was thoroughly pleased with herself. Then later when we were getting changed for bed, she started talking gibberish, with a few "dos" and "unos" thrown in there. When I asked her what she was doing, she said, "uh, mom, I told you already that I speak Spanish now". When I told Ms. Marcela the story this afternoon, she started laughing and instead of saying "bye" to Makaela, she said "adios". Makaela didn't miss a beat, "Avos Ms. Marrrcccela!"

Here she is counting:

No comments:

Post a Comment