Friday, September 3, 2010

This is how rumors get started...

Today in school, one of my male students asked to fill up his water bottle in my office. I agreed because Ewa is super hot. After 2 minutes, he comes out of my office and says, "Miss, your water is broken- it just keeps coming out." I was baffled because it's pretty tough to break a sink, well it turns out that he tried to take water out of my refrigerated water jug, not the sink. The jug, however, doesn't work properly and the buttons get stuck, so by the time I realize what he is talking about, my office has a nice sized flood in it. At this point, his reading partner (a very hyper boy) comes in to help. Rightfully so, I was definitely irritated and told him to go find a mop so he could clean this up. Both boys leave and I continue on with my lesson vowing not to let kids in my office anymore.

About 5 minutes later, I get a phone call from my Vice Principal. He is laughing hysterically asking me if I need EMS on the scene. Not knowing what was up, I told him to stop being dramatic, all we needed was a mop. He then relayed the scene that just unfolded in his office. Instead of going to the custodians, the boys ran to the VP and said in frantic voices, "The water is broken and all over the floor". VP-"What do you mean?" Kids-"The water is all over the floor and we need a mop to clean it up" VP-"Where is this happening?" Kids- "In Ms. Hoffman's room". So, my VP thinks that my water broke and I was in labor. Now he starts getting a bit panicked "Does she need an ambulance?" Kids (totally baffled) "No, just a mop". I was told that this kind of "whose on first" exchange occurred a bit longer before the kids actually articulated that a water fountain broke, not Ms. Hoffman who sprung a leak.

It has now become a joke amongst our team teachers and students that Ms. Hoffman's water broke.
A picture from earlier this week at 7 months pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment