Saturday, August 6, 2011

Reunions and Firsts

When I found out we were heading to Dallas, I FBed my college friend Liz to let her know we would be in town. Liz came out to visit me in Hawaii during my second year here, but I haven't seen her since because she had moved to Dallas and we are never in NY at the same time. Because Dallas was so hot, she suggested hanging out at the Galleria (a mega mall in Dallas) and grabbing lunch. Unfortunately, we were so busy chatting we forgot to take a picture together.

As we were driving in I saw an American Girl store with hoards of moms and little girls clutching American Girl bags. I had an American Girl doll (molly), but it wasn't until I was 12 and could fully appreciate how very expensive these dolls were. It was supposed to be a collectible, but when I passed her down to my sister, she didn't exactly have the same appreciation I did. Anyway, I realized then that being a mom of two girls, I would eventually end up in that store. I vowed that we would not walk near that store while we were here b/c I wanted to delay the American Girl experience (and the amount of money lost) as long as possible.
We ate lunch at a great Mexican restaurant right next to the ice rink. Makaela was in heaven and couldn't wait to go skating. Matt and I just looked at each other praying that the other one would volunteer to go skating with her. Luckily I got off the hook because I was visiting with Liz. Makaela wasn't on the ice long though. She was very frustrated that she couldn't skate and twirl right off the bat. Ah, my little perfectionist.

No comments:

Post a Comment