Sunday, August 26, 2012

Little Miss Manners

So occasionally some things come back to bite me in the butt and this was one day in point.  I had picked Makaela up from school and was asking about her day. She told me that the other kids talk to her too much and sometimes she doesn't want to talk back. "It's frustrating," she says, "Sometimes I just want to walk away."  I told her to be polite and remember that she should treat others as she wants to be treated, so I told her to try saying, "Excuse me, but I need to go to the bathroom" as a way to get out of the conversation.  She told me, "I can't do that mom because that's lying.  It's not polite to lie."  Oh yeah.  So then I tell her, "Try saying, 'Excuse me, but going to go play in a different learning center, so I'll talk to you later."  She then tells me, "But that would be interrupting and interrupting is not polite."  At this point, I was stumped, I just told her to think of a way she could politely excuse herself from the conversation. She sat there quietly for a bit and then said, "I got it mom!  I am going to say, 'Excuse me but I have to go to the bathroom' and then I'll stand in there for a minute and then come out. THat way I'm not really lying and I'd be interrupting them for the bathroom and that would be okay."  Okay- at least she has a plan.  Not the most honest one, but a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment