Monday, March 28, 2011

Comfort Quilts

A few months back, my friend Amanda told me there was a group of quilters on the island that made "comfort quilts" for children whose parents were deployed. I filled out an application and sent in some pictures and this past week I had a phone call that the quilts were done. When I went to go pick the quilts up, I didn't realize how emotional it would be. Makaela instantly realized that the quilt had pictures of her daddy on it and while she was telling the lady, Susan, about daddy, I ended up being a blubbering mess. Makaela was so excited about the quilts, she made me lay Mia on hers as soon as we got home and for the rest of the day, was pretty much inseparable from the quilt.
Makaela napped with the quilt and watched TV with it.
Who knew a little blanket could go such a long way? Makaela misses her Daddy so much. She internalizes a lot, but it comes out in moments like this and in her questioning. It was so thoughtful that these quilters make these gifts for kids. I am so grateful for all those people who take an extra step to help out military families (and for all my fabulous friends who have been so supportive).

1 comment: