Friday, March 4, 2011

Power Outage in Ewa

Thursday night we had a tremendous storm- the winds and rain were so powerful, that it actually woke me up three times during the night (of course this is the night Mia decided to sleep peacefully during the entire night and I couldn't). Oddly, at 6am, I received from my vice
principal saying that school was closed since Ewa didn't have any power. I found this odd because at 6am, I did have power. I was happy for a day off though because I thought I would be able to work on my paper. I dropped Makaela off at school, but they didn't have power. I felt like a terrible mom, but when I got home, I realized that we had lost power as well, so I'm sure she was having more fun at school than she would have had at home. So, my grand scheme of
working on my paper didn't pan out so well. Driving around Ewa was treacherous with all the traffic lights out, so I thought I would just stay home, but with the electricity out, we couldn't cook anything, so I started looking for a place to feed and bathe the kids and store some of my...well, Mia's food. Luckily the Martins took us in for the evening. We headed out to eat at Just Tacos and it was quite a scene- 3 adults and 4 kids (all under the age of 4).
Then it was back to the Martin's for some playtime, bath time and adult de-stressing time. Makaela was in heaven because she got to spend the night at "Abby's and Zack's".
The following morning, Matt got up and made us banana pancakes and served them on their
lanai- for a crazy weekend, it was a pretty peaceful morning out there.
After breakfast we headed out for a stroll along the lagoons and Mia had her hand held by a boy for the first time (ahhh).
We headed home after our walk because it had started to rain and because we had heard that parts of Ewa had power again. However, once we got home, we realized that we still didn't have power. So we hopped back into the car and headed to a movie with the Weidas. The movie was Rango, which really wasn't a kids' movie, even though it was an animation. Makaela got bored with it 1/2 through, but Mia was in heaven. The girl watched the entire movie. After the movie, in another last ditch effort to avoid going home with two little ones and no electricity, we headed to a park. Probably not the best idea considering it had been raining for the past week. Makaela was soooo dirty. We headed home to bathe early while we still had daylight and then hopped into bed to play about 5 games of Chutes and Ladders and read many many books. Just when I was about to throw in the towel and head to the Weida's for the night, our electricity came on. I was so happy about it, I let Makaela stay up late to watch a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment