Sunday, February 5, 2012

New Job Opportunities

While we were in Orlando, I received a phone call for a job interview. It was for a 12th grade AP position for English at Ponte Vedra High School. I didn't have any interview worthy clothing with me, so Makaela and I went out shopping and I must say, she was a very good fashion critic. At the interview the principal admitted that another English position recently opened, one for a 10th and 11th grade line and I said I was interested in that position more. I just like the idea that I can see the kids again the following year and 12th grade is a bit intimidating because I haven't taught that grade yet. I went in to meet with the teacher I was replacing and she shared the reading list with me. I am so excited. I can teach A Long Way Gone, The Hunger Games, Great Gatsby and Lord of the FLies. I already taught Lord of the Flies in La Jolla, so I was excited. The campus is amazing (newly built) and the faculty has been great. The principal called me everyday for a week to give me updates on the status of the hiring. I'm not used to having such an involved and personable principal.
In the midst of my interview with Ponte Vedra, I had completed my phone interview with University of Northern Florida. I felt I rambled a bit, but left them with some questions that would have kept them thinking. I was shocked when I received an email asking me to fly to FL for a face to face interview. They were willing to pay for my travel too. When I received my itinerary though, I got very nervous. I had a dinner the night before the interview with two professors, then I had a series of interviews beginning at 8:15am the next day lasting until 5:45pm. Overall, I felt the interviews went well. I had research the professors on my search committees, so I knew their research backgrounds and interests and I spoke of potential studies I could collaborate with them on, but the one portion I did not feel comfortable on was the teaching component. I had to teach a class which normally wouldn't be a problem, but I didn't have the textbook and I was trying to follow the instructor's lead. Her powerpoint was horridly boring, so while I tried to infuse some humor, that material was dry and my presentation ended quickly. In hindsight, I thought of some ideas I could have done and wish I could get a re-do, but oh well. It was definitely a learning experience. I should hear back by Feb 14th or so. The campus is breathtaking and the school is trying to expand which is great because they are willing to try new things to get their name out there. They are also very supportive with tenure and publishing. Sitting around with the faculty was great. They joke with each other, hang out outside the university and look like very fun people to work with.
While I am grateful I have the high school position, I would love to get the professor position. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
UNF quad

No comments:

Post a Comment