Friday, February 10, 2012

Turning 33



We had to postpone my birthday celebration because I was under so much stress with the UNF interview, but Saturday after my birthday, Matt arranged for a babysitter (the community center has a list of available babysitters in the neighorhood who have already been interviewed-did I mention I really like my community center- they are earning their ridiculous dues). Anyway, the babysitter came over in a Nease Wrestling Sweatshirt- turns out she is the wrestling team's manager for the local high school- got a bit nostalgic for Hawaii wrestling stories from Brian and Mark, but I digress. Matt took me out to a local winery. We got there a bit too late for wine tasting, but they have a great rooftop jazz bar, so we munched on cheese and bread, sipped mulled wine (it was bit chilly at first) and then had our own sampling. The winery looked out over the marsh flats of St. Augustine, so it was a pretty cool view.

When the sun set, we got to dance on the rooftop to a 60s rock band and then headed down to historic St. Augustine. It is a cute town in the daytime, but breathtaking at night. The square is decorated with thousands of lights (the picture doesn't do it justice) and the backdrop of all the churches and old architecture was really impressive. We enjoyed strolling, stopping into odd shops (they love their hot sauce here), other little local wine shops, local jewelry shops, etc.



We ended up at a fun Cajun restaurant by the water and headed up to the bar to wait for our table. We ended up meeting a some local St Augustine residents who had suggested crab napoleon appetizer. With all the chatting, time had gotten away from us and the bartender finally realized that we hadn't had been called for our table. Turned out the battery had died in our pager. They apologized profusely and was about to usher us to a table, but we realized we needed to get home for our babysitter (we told her we would be home by 11). When we got the bill, we found out that two of the people we had been talking to, paid for our appetizer.


I am beginning to realize how nice people are here. Not only did random people pay for us, but two other crazy things happened: I lost my phone (my back pocket is not a great place to leave my large phone...it tends to fall out). I store owner called Matt and told him he found the phone. Then on the way home, the supermarket manager, reopened the store to let Matt break a larger bill so we would have the correct amount for the babysitter...Southern hospitality is alive and kicking in St. Augustine and I will officially stop mocking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment