Sunday, February 5, 2012

Our new neighborhood

I think I am going to like my neighborhood- it's no Hawaii, but I think it will be good. The first night we were here, a neighbor came by and asked if we needed anything and before we knew it, we had a ladder, another neighbor gave us sheets and an air mattress to sleep on and another neighbor shared some pots so I could cook. THere are kids all over the place as well. Around 4pm, all the kids congregate and the parents hang out and socialize while the kids run up and down the block.
The second night we were here, a neighbor Tish, invited me out for A Murabella Ladies Night. I was skeptical, but went anyway. I found that I was oddly underdressed (our household goods still hadn't arrived, so my wardrobe was severely limited), that the neighbors already knew who I was (in some respect- I guess word really does travel fast in the suburbs) and these women can drink. I got some great advice about preschools, community events and had typical lady talk. It was an interesting night.
The following night, I guess the guys felt they needed a night out so a neighbor projected a football game onto his garage door and all the guys pulled out their lawn chairs and coolers and watched the game. I'm not sure how much watching occurred though because I heard them all laughing until after midnight. When we woke the next morning, I found they had a small fire pit going in the middle and the driveway looked like a scene from a college frat party.
We also found out that the community does monthly date nights were they arrange babysitters at the community center so parents can drop off their little ones and go out for a few hours. There is already a polar plunge scheduled to help a family with cancer- seems like a close knit community.

No comments:

Post a Comment