Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Update on Matt

Last night I got a surprise phone call from Matt. I wasn't expecting to hear from him since I thought the trek over to the middle East would be a bit longer. However, when I heard his account of his travels, it seems like it was long enough. He started out on Monday and took a 4 hour bus ride from Jersey to Baltimore where he boarded a plane. Luckily it was a commercial flight that was totally booked by military, so at least they got to ride in some comfort. Originally we thought he was going on a military plane (no frills whatsoever). The flight was 8 hours and landed in Ramstein (spelling) Air Force Base in Germany. From Germany, he boarded a military flight to Kuwait City which lasted 6 1/2 hours. From Kuwait city, he boarded yet another bus for a 1 1/2 hour ride to his training site in the middle of the desert. There is a 12 hour difference between our locations, but luckily between the email and phone, we have been in contact and I very grateful for that.
Poor Makaela is definitely over her dad being gone though. Today she told me she missed her daddy and wanted him to come home. When I told her he was in Iraq working, her eyes lit up and said, "I like Iraq. I go there on a plane too so I can see my daddy." Poor girl, she is in for another 12 more months of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment