Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thrush

I've been noticing a white coating on Mia's tongue and this past weekend it got really bad. When Mia had her 2 month well baby, I had asked the doctor if she had thrush, but the appointment was so rushed, that I guess the doctor just brushed my comment aside and reported that all was well. This week, however, her tongue was completely white and I noticed spores on the back of her throat, so like every neurotic mom, I hit the internet to self diagnosis and to come up with some kind of treatment. I had talked to my friends about this and sure enough one of the other babies had experienced this too (with as many babies as we have in this group, you are bound to have common ailments). Katie was kind enough to share some Nystatin with me and I started Mia on it myself. Probably not the best thing to do, but I really couldn't let her stay this way, especially since thrush is connected with gas and fermentation in the belly- poor baby. When we finally got a doctor's appointment (a whopping 4 days after I called for an appointment), the doctor said that Mia did have thrush, but that it was already clearing up. Luckily we saw a different doctor this time :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment