Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sick :-(

Last night was curriculum night, so I asked Melissa to babysit while I headed out to meet with my students' parents. When I got home, I was shocked to hear that Mia was crying and was still awake. She usually goes to bed around 6:30 and is adamant about her sleeping (girl throws a fit if she is not in bed on time). I was able to get her down but at 10:30, she was up again and burning up. Her breathing was labored and she was coughing. I grabbed the vapor rub, rubbed her down and laid her in bed with me. The next few hours were a cycle of 15 mins of sleeping, up with coughs, attempts to get her to take Tylenol which resulted in lots of vomiting, crying and then settling down for another 15 minute nap. By 3am, I was considering taking her to the ER because her fever was 102, but realized that I would have had to take Makaela too- no one was here to watch her. I vowed to hang in there until 6am so I could call for a dr's appt. If I couldn't get a dr's appt, I would have dropped Makaela at school and headed to the ER, but luckily I got an appt. Problem was it was at 1pm. I don't have anymore sick days on the books, so I tried to find someone to stay home with Mia, but couldn't. I was glad though because she was so sick. I was finally able to get some tylenol in her and her fever came down to a 100 by the time we went to see the doctor. She was such a trooper. Even feeling as badly as she did, she was still all smiles at the doctor's and even ran some errands with me.

After this ordeal, I have a newfound respect for single moms. As a military wife, at least I can say that in a few months, I will have Matt home to help out, but single moms don't. Agonizing over going to the ER and waking Makaela was a dilemma I hope I never find myself in again, but I imagine single moms find themselves in similar scenarios more often than not. I will be so glad when Matt comes home and I have someone else to lean on. My friends are amazing, but at 3am and with 102 fevers, I really need Daddy around.

No comments:

Post a Comment